Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer's Almost Gone

   I love the summertime, I think of my childhood. When we would do family things together, might it been swimming in a nearby river, or going to the drive in. We would go get ice cream, or over to the local A&W, and grab some burgers and fries. 

  My father knew the man who owned and operated it, his name is Don. They knew each other from way back when, he is still alive, but his children run it now. What made it so special, is that it is the original food and style of Menu.

   But if you look for it in Pekin, Illinois, it is now called Cranwell's Drive In. It still has the same food only a different name, I will make a couple more trips before it closes,because it won't be open until spring. My daughter,wife, and I will have a Root beer float, and some chili cheese dogs, etc.

   Sorry, I did it again, I started thinking of all the food, and got away from my point. I will think with my head, and not my stomach. That is why I will not bring up the State Fair, other than say the word Fair.

  I can think of too many things to mention, but will say this, I enjoy the summer, because of the variety of things to do with your family.

  I love going to the Blues Festival's, Native American Pow Pows, and taking hikes in a beautiful forest.

  I know I can do some of those things all year round, but Summer is a special time of the year. We have the Forth of July, picnics, and camping trips.

  I am the type of person who loves nature, and loves watching the spring buds on the trees, turn into foliage.

  Think about it, if there were no trees we would not have shade. If there was no shade, where would I read my book, or put my blanket?

  Where would we have that peaceful picnic on a hot summer day? Where would all the birds go? They would not have too many places for a nest. That would be a shame for people like me, I'm the type of person that looks at birds for enjoyment.

  I love gazing in the Summer skies, at a beautiful sunrise, or a breathtaking sunset. Going on a morning walk, to witness a sky filled with wonderful hues, that are seemingly endless. The kind of skies, that burn deep into one's soul.

  I never tire at the night sky, I still get lost in space. I look up at the heavens every night, and thank god for the magnificent sky! I make my way to the swing on the back deck, with my glass of iced tea, and recite the constellations.

  I usually wonder how many people still look up at the stars, and really appreciate them.

  Throughout history they have been admired, and used as guides. I fear that today's generation has little use for them.

  I love the sounds of crickets chirping, all frogs croaking, and the simple sound of rain drops hitting the ground.

  I love the smells of a roaring campfire, and the divine taste of smores. The sound of an owl hooting, or the howl of the coyotes.

  The mornings chorus of birds, chirping, and singing. I love the smell of the woods, upon waking up in the morning. The smell of the morning fire, with bacon, eggs, hash browns cooking. I mustn't forget the coffee, "It's the best part of waking up", sorry I think I will have that song in my head forever.

  I enjoy a good canoe ride on the lake, or the nearby rivers. It feels very freeing to be in the middle of the lake, with the fish jumping beside you. It is a special place to be, when the flowers open on the Lilly pads, and the sun set reflects on the water.

  I enjoy going to the park with my wife and daughter. We usually hit the swings first,it is our favorite thing to do. I love seeing their smiling faces as they go up and down. I love hearing the laughter from that tickle in her belly, the sounds of excitement.

  It is truly wonderful to see such joy! I never thought that something as simple as swings and slides could possess such magic.

  I think of Summer cook outs, with music playing loud in the background, as friends and family converse about life. The aromas of the feast passing by all our noses, sound of the grease dripping on the bottom of the grill. Mm mm, Mmm, Mmmmm, MMmmmm, Mmmm, mm Mmm!

  That was just my best typing impression of the the seen in "What About Bob", when Bill Murray is at the dinner table with Richard Dryfuss, and his family. If you haven't seen this movie, please give it a looks see.

  I could talk about Summer until next summer, so I will try to wrap this up soon.

  I remember playing Baseball with my brother, and friends. Most of the time we didn't have enough players, so we would spread out, and play without a catcher. It was a lot of fun growing up, because about a quarter mile from our house, we had a Basketball court, 2 baseball diamonds, a play ground, and place to play hopscotch.

  We would go to many ball games, because our whole family belonged to some kind of league. You would see me running to the concession stand, with the pocket change I called an allowance. Buying cotton candy, popcorn, Bazooka Joe's, eating Laffy Taffy's, and nachos.

  When we were kids, my brother and I would mow lawns, weed yards, clean gutters, and sell fruit and veggies out of our own garden. We were very motivated kids, at the ages of 7 and 9 we made $5000.00 one summer. We lived very close to a busy lake, and sold night crawlers at 60 cents a dozen. 

  We even detasseled in the summers, for those of you who don't know what that is. It is simply pulling the tassel out of the centers of cornstalks, and sometimes around the bottom of the stalks. Besides it being extremely hot, it really wasn't that bad. We learned a lot of funny jokes, and made many friends out in the fields.

  There is more to this topic, but I will discuss it some other time. 

  I can remember when I was a child, we would go to the park. We would fly kites, blow bubbles, play "Ring around the rosie" and play with the metal detector. I never found any buried treasure, but found some great memories with my family. The type of memories, I would like to create with my own wife and daughter.

  When I close my eyes I can still see my father jamming to CCR, Buffalo Springfield, and the Doors, cooking on the charcoal grill, and my Mom playing with us kids. I can still feel the cool water from the sprinkler, or our slip and slide. I can still smell the suntan lotion, and the chlorine from the pool.

  Don't get me wrong I love all four of our seasons, and could find good things to say about each one.

  Right now I'm focusing on Summer because its almost gone. I know it will return, after the leaves change color and fall. After most of the trees become naked, and snow falls to the ground.

  After we bundle up, and scrape the ice off the car. After the buds,birds,and bees come back. After I find my moral mushrooms, and flowers start to bloom. After we put the heavy cloths in the closet, and bring out the shorts, t-shirts, and sandals.

  I will stop there, because Summer is still here. All I can say is to enjoy the remaining days, and to make the best of it.

  Trust me, when I say I will!   

 

Peace and Love,

Wes

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I enjoy all the seasons, but there's nothing like summer for me. I always hate to see it leave, and the winters can seem awfully long around here...but I always look at it as making summer that much sweeter when it finally does arrive!

And yep, I know about detasseling. What Midwesterner doesn't? ;)

Beth