Thursday, September 18, 2008

On the Road Again

I woke up to my daughter saying " Daddy wet!" "Daddy Juice please!" "Daddy up please!", how could I resist. M.J is going to be 18 months on the September 22, and she has a decent vocabulary. Her phrases have been beneficial to our days, for example she let's me know when she is wet. She let's me know if she is hungry, or wants to go somewhere. Over all she can communicate with me, if not by word, by her gestures. I even got her to say I love you in sign language.

Being a parent I have noticed she will do things for me, but not in front of other people. I get a kick out of her silly little laugh, and the other day mom got her to snort. I love when were on the way somewhere, we will both hum, or sing to songs. We got her singing parts of  the B 52's songs, "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah". One of her favorite Cd's is the Best of the Animals, and her favorite is The Curious George Soundtrack.

People look at me while I drive through town like I'm insane, because they are too busy to notice our daughter in the car with me. They can only see me making faces, and my silly head dancing, and me occasionally looking back at her, when I'm stopped at a light.

The other day I was listening to Bob Dylan, and I heard her play my Harmonica exactly like the song? She plays better than me when I started as a teenager. I hope she will sing as lovely as her mother when she gets a little bigger. Lisa can sing like an angel, and even better than most women ever played on the radio! At least M.J and I get at home concerts. When we first dated, many people got a chance to her sing, but she was in the shower. I put the phone up to the door when she didn't know it, until one time she had an "Herbal Essence" moment! "Aaaaauuuuhhhhhhh"! Just kidding!  Ha Ha Ha.

Actually one of my relatives let it slip that I put the phone to the door, and she asked me never to do it again. So, I haven't since, but I still sneak a listen. Sometimes we sing songs together to our daughter. M.J loves it and so do I. We have even sang some songs from "The Sound of Music ' with her, and it was fun. M.J's favorite style of music is from the 1930's and 40's.

We dance together almost every day, and it like magic. It is a good feeling to know that right now I'm the man she dances with, and looks to for support. I hope when she grows up to be a women that she will still want to dance with me, and look for me for support sometimes. I'm looking to far ahead, I promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore. She is still a baby, but she is getting big too fast! In the words of Stevie Nicks "I'm getting older too".

After I mowed the lawn tonight and visited some with Lisa, I went out to eat a supper by myself. I almost forgot what it was like to go eat a meal, and sip a cherry coke uninterrupted. I took my notebook, pen, and a book to read. I found a quiet little corner to do my thing. Next thing you know all the tables and booths filled up around me, and I didn't care. I just kept writing the thoughts from my mind, and would take a bite. I would write, and then take a sip. 

I almost forgot to mention a couple odd things about my late supper, I ordered a  Mushroom and Swiss steak burger, and some cheese fries. After my waitress Alyssa left, I remembered I should of asked for A 1 Steak sauce. So, I asked her if she could please get me some when she had a free moment. She returns and says "We don't have any, that they ran out." it isn't a big deal. But would you ever think that a Steak & Shake would not have any steak sauce? In the words of Jerry Seinfeld "Who are these people?"

As I sat there I noticed that my waitress was serving four other tables besides mine. I noticed that each table had different types of people. One table was a big family who didn't know what they wanted, so she visited them three times before they had an order ready. The other table was a smaller family, which the mom kept yelling at the kids. "That's too expensive" "Order something else" "No you can't get a shake" and that when on for minutes. Meanwhile Alyssa just stands patiently waiting. The third table is demanding why haven't you taken our order, and what is taking so long? After it is all settled, and she returns to me for a refill. The third table is yelling " This is cold!" Put in the microwave!". You get the Idea. Alyssa was so relaxed and kept her composure.

I decided that when she wasn't looking I would grab a comment card, and tell her boss how well she did under that kind of pressure. Let someone know how well she took care of all her customers. I couldn't find one, so I asked a person at the register for one. He couldn't find one either, so he yelled for a comment card. They couldn't find one in the whole joint? I was so determined to let someone know of her actions. In the end I tipped her well, and told her to her face how well she had did, and that I appreciated it. I usually just fill a card out without the person knowing who praised them. I realized that it probably meant more coming from the horses mouth.

On my way home I was at a light, and I sat there in the car for at least 5 minutes before I decided to back up and get in the right lane to turn. After I got back on the road I noticed the light hadn't changed yet, it was a good thing I decided to circle around. I turned the stereo up, and listened tomy Best of Tom Petty. I felt the cool breeze on my head, and sang to thee songs.

I wanted to get home to see my family before it got to late, and they would be in bed a sleep. I made it home in no time, and put the key in the door. I made my way to the room to discover the two of them a sleep. My two sleeping beauties, they are so cute and cuddly.

I must have Waltermittyinidus, my mind wanders to other things too easily. Back to our day, we went shopping for some outfits. I got her a white shirt with a pumpkin on it that says "Daddy's Little Pumpkin" and orange pants with leaves on it. I got me some fall shirts, and a pair pants. Later we went to another store and I got her a couple more outfits. One is a blue hooded sweat shirt with blue sweat pants, it will go well with her beautiful blue eyes. The other is a Winnie the Poo hooded shirt that she picked out her self. I almost forgot to mention that I finally replaced my ratty old wallet I've had for years, and it is about time. I don't know what I'm going to do now that my money and ID's will stay in there now.

Please forgive me for this, I know the above section should be a the front, but I am getting too tired to correct my order of events. Thanks for bearing with this loopy Yoda like of a human being. In a nut shell I had a good day today, despite spending money on the same day as G. W. Bush gave his "Economic Pep Talk". Ha Ha!

Here is a quote from a movie: "Look at me, I'm a nut!" "I'm in a shell" "How did I get in this shell?" If I didn't mess this quote up, can any one guess what it is from?

Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Captain Loren Wesley

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day! I think it's great that you thanked your waitress. If someone goes above and beyond like that, I always try to make sure their boss hears about it, too!

"This is me in a nutshell!" Austin Powers, he's the maaaan!"

Arrrr!

Cap'n Evelyn Fancypants