Tuesday, September 30, 2008

41st Annual Spoon River Scenic Drive

WARNING THERE WILL BE FOOD DISCUSSED!

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS IF YOUR HUNGRY!

October is almost here again, and for me another Birthday! I will be 31 year's old this year, and I don't care I just wanted to see what it looked like in print. All year I have been telling people I already was, so in some kind of odd way it will be like I didn't age at all. My B-day falls on a Monday this year, so I hope it's not"Just Another Manic Monday" Ha Ha !

I think this Birthday I'm going to set my alarm clock to the exact time I was born. Get up and just go Waaaaaaa! Then go back to bed. No I'm just kidding, three-something in the morning is too early for me to fake a cry!

One thing I have usually looked forward to is The Spoon River Drive, and last year one of the day's happened to fall on the day of my introduction to earth in this body."The Drive" start's on October 4, 5th and the next weekend after.  

It has been awesome in the past, and I am psyched up about all the WONDERFUL FOODS! At the Orchard Hill Farms, or the "Apple Place" you can get Grilled Po Cho's! Pork chop's for people who don't speak Wes, they can be plain or with Barbecue. They have burger's, Brats, and hot dog's on the outside of the joint.

Then you enter the inside and find a little piece of heaven, because they have Apple everything! A couple of my favorites Hot Apple cider, and homemade "Apple Butta"! They have several types of jams or jelly's. Homemade jars of honey, and relishes. I make the stop there for PICKLED BEETS! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Orchard Hill Farms: (309)-547-3221

Not to get off track, but when I think of theses "Scrumpshalessant" treats, I think of my Great Grandmother Mernerva Jane Watt. She used to make the Best Beets, and had a secret recipe that I will get off my Mom soon! I can't forget her homemade pies, and chicken noodle soup. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now back to The Spoon River Drive I can't to forget to mention they have garage sales for over 100 miles in Illinois. They have nice shops and some vendors in these towns that Edgar Lee Masters wrote about in "The Spoon River Anthology".

The tree's are beautiful and views our breathtaking. The people are overall friendly, unless you are going to purchase something they want! Ha Ha

They have many events in many town's, but call me lazy. I typically stick to my same path, where it is a little more laid back, and closer to my family. They have gone for year's too, and last year on my birthday my wife and I ran into my Great Uncle Jim and Aunt Brenda. It was the first time they met MJ and it was a highlight of my day.

I like to go to Dicksen Mounds State Museum, and go to the roof and look across the lands.If you get a chance to stop in Lewistown, IL explore it once and you will see why! It is place I have been going since childhood, and it holds many memories. I can remember rolling down the big hill with my brother and sister. We called it "picnic hill" because we would bring all the fixings. Lay a blanket down and eat together as a family.

Dickson Mounds State Park:   (309) 547-3721

Year's ago when the Native American's thrived, most of that area was covered by water, so they traveled by canoe. They lived on the high grounds, and they buried their dead in the surrounding area in mounds. It holds a little piece of history, and happiness from my past. I can't forget to mention the abundant wildlife nearby.

I stop at many of the houses and towns along the way to the fairgrounds. They have all kinds of things, but I stop for the Candy! They have had many types of fudge, taffies, and brittles. In the past they have had giant corn dogs, funnel cakes, and Lemon Shake Ups. Too much to name, but Do Not Fill Up there, for there are a couple more towns nearby. I believe it is the town of Bernadotte that has one of the best Candy Shops, if I'm wrong it is the town of Duncan mills.

I must be getting tired if I can't remember which one it is? So, before I go I want you to know that along this stretch you can just about find any thing . Providing you beat other's to it. I have been going for over 2 decades and have never been through the whole thing yet. I try to make it the least like a "Walmart" feeling and more like a "Wes Smart" occasion.

Like I said I mainly go to eat, and create memories with my loved one's . Even if they would rather do something else. Ha Ha

I have been known to purchase a few things along the way, that wasn't food. I love books, old things, and Record Albums. I usually end up buying things for other people, because I have always liked to share a little of the Spoon River Drive with other people. One of my favorite memories was when I was a small child, we made a stop at an old Church/school house. When I went inside there were books everywhere, and they were closing soon. So, my family and I loaded up the station wagon, and I mean loaded it up. We had them in our laps, and on the floorboards.

I ended up getting most of the National Geographic's that were ever published. It was a great way to see the world from the past to the present. I believe that is one of the reasons why I wanted to become an archeologist! I can't forget to mention that was where I got my first poetry books. Also my first copy of  The Godfather!  HaHa

It can test your patience sometimes, and it can be very busy! It can be "Priceless" but well worth it. It just depends what you are looking for and kind of mood your in. I have not mentioned several interesting places, and several things you can do. So you might want to go to spoonriverdrive.org  and then try the Tour Info. 

Before I go, I wish to say thanks to all my loved ones and to say thank you for all that you do!

I wish to say thank you to all who read this ramble, and to say thanks for listening.

So, Cap'n  have a fantastic morning, and an Amazing day!  Arrrr!

Peace and Love,

Wes

  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day, Wes! And wishing you a pre-Happy Birthday!

You'll have to let us know how your adventure goes!

Hugs, Beth

Anonymous said...

Everytime someone starts talking about food in a blog, I always think they should warn me so that if I am hungry, I can skip it. So for the first time, I come to a blog that actually warns me, but I read it anyway and now I want a bagel with cream cheese. It really isn't your fault. Really :-).
~Mary

Anonymous said...

I am hungry, but I have a cantaloupe waiting :). I am a big lover of warm apple cider. Simple Apple makes a great cider.
Can I pass on the pickled beets?
Ok, Great Grandmother beets are DIFFERENT; those I would eat.

But I stop for the candy!
Yes, you are your child's best friend, soon that will bring much happiness......~Mary

Anonymous said...

Now I was thinking this entry looked awful familiar to me. Uhm, because I read it before! But I clicked on your link in someone else's blog and it brought me here. Hmmm. ~Mary