Monday, September 22, 2008

A Toast To Summer!

Fall is officially here!

I just came from outside, I was looking at the Summer sky. I was staring at the countless stars, and enjoying the years last summer night. Thinking about the time my father and I watched Haley's Comet in 1986. I remember him telling me "that it was something special, that he has the chance to see it with me". "That if I was lucky I would get to see it return, and watch it with my grandchildren". I cherish that moment with my Dad, and will always think about it when I see the night sky.

I took the time to reflect on this Summer, and realized that for me it will go down as one of the best. I was lucky enough to enjoy it with my family, and it wasn't too hot either. I got to go swimming with my wife and daughter. Watch a couple movies at the Drive In, and see some fireworks. Play in the summer rain, and watch Malayna's face as she smiled at the fire flies, butterfly's, and bee's. "Bzzzzzzz"

We took the time to smell the flowers, and count our blessings. Blew giant bubbles in the yard, and laid a blanket down and I read her books in the summer shade. We took countless trips as a family to many parks, and Malayna went "Weeee"  I gladly witnessed my father enjoy the summer with MJ, and the other Grand kids. Stroller ride after stroller ride. "Go Go Go" "Weeee"!

I may not have went to my usual places this year, but found happiness in my heart. I found confort in the memories that I shared with my family. I have learned to enjoy every moment of my life this Summer, even the one's I had no control of. I feel my soul has grown stronger by being a father, and sharing parenthood with my wife Lisa. I am so proud of her for what she has done as a mother, and wife! She sacrifices so much for us, and provides the love that a home needs. We will be here for her always, and will love her. I will try to return the favor, and unconditionally love her.

I say Fall is a very enjoyable season, but it hasn't always been kind to me. It is the season that brings great changes, it usually comes with difficult emotions. When the leaves drop to the ground and the Autumn chill sneaks up the back of your shirt, it whispers in your ear. "Winter's coming"!

For almost a solid decade it has allowed me to be a pallbearer many times over, and it has taken away friendships with the whirling wind. That's okay because "Once a Friend Always a friend"  and the memories will remain in my heart.

Now for the short list of good things:

We get to break out the sweaters and pants. We get to dig out the coats, hats, and gloves we hardly get to wear. We get to witness the Autumn colors from the forests, and the sky's. They can be very bright and filled with wonderful hues. It allows us to break out the Hot Cocoa, and Hot Apple cider. We get to watch football, and stuff ourselves like turkeys. Fall allows us to dress up and be silly, and devour lot's of candy. It allows me to go to the lake and watch the eagles fly, and film them in the tree tops.

I know this fall I am piling up some leaves, and playing in it with Lisa and Malayna. We will dress up this year and go Trick or Treating. We will go on a hay rack ride, or two. Lisa and I will go to some haunted houses. In two weeks Lisa will bake me a cake for my Birthday, and I LOVE HER CAKES. They are so moist, and scrumptious!

NBA basketball will be starting up soon! The World Series will be played, and the Cubs "Curse" will be lifted. If the Sox can do it, why not the Cubs? I know what I just said sounds unbelievable, but anything is possible. Being a Chicago sports fan I just don't get my hopes up. When I say a Chicago fan,I really mean the Bull's. My wife and I have been waiting to see them redeem themselves after last season.

We will have a new President chosen, unless we have another "Too close to call" situation. I think many people across the world will rejoice after W leaves the White House. I know I will do the "Dance of Joy" with my family. Then we can all chant together "Get out of the city"!  Ha Ha.  If you are as big as geek as my wife and I, you'll be able to tell what those apples are from?

I know given my life patterns during the season of Fall, I will try to make the best of it. I will maintain a high spirit, and keep my smile. I will make it the best Autumn I ever shared with my loved ones, and remember that Life Is What It Is Sometimes!

Sometime soon we will have to set the clocks back! "Spring forward and Fall Backwards"

For all of you who have reasons to feel like I have about this particular season, please follow my lead! I know things are easier said than done, but I have faith that this year it will be splendid. Love will keep us smiling, and love will keep us warm. I will wrap my self up in happiness, and love for my family.

We must have reasons to love all four of Earth's seasons. If we didn't have the changes in our life cycle, we couldn't appreciate the one's that we miss the most.  

Enjoy the beauty,

The Fall Guy 

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, "Fall Guy!" LOL

I'm always a little sad to see the summer go...I just love all the green lushness of it. But I think going through winter (and sometimes they can be pretty harsh around here, as you know) always makes spring and summer that much better.

Enjoy your day!
Beth