Monday, August 18, 2008

A ticket to ride

It started on Saturday we made our way out of town on the interstate heading toward Chicago. But not to the Windy City but a much smaller town called Union it has the Illinois Railway Museum. My wife, daughter and I are on our way to see the little blue tank engine named Thomas. I had been planning it for months, you see out of most of the children's programming on television our child loves Thomas.

 It is refreshing to just get out town for a couple days and to be able to spend it with two of the greatest people on earth makes it even more joyous. We made it all the way to Dekalb, IL  at about 8:30 PM and we decided it was close enough to the museum to stop and get a hotel. The first one was all filled up so we made our way to the next one racing a white mini van and hoping there would still be rooms left because the last hotel said there were only 7 rooms an hour ago. Thank goodness the mini van man wanted a hot tub or we would have had to keep searching.

It was no big deal but try the simplest tasks with a 16 month old baby, she was grumpy, tired and hungry. So we loaded up our arms and child up to the third floor to no.317. And she was off., M.J just recently she started walking and when I say walking she speed walks with good balance, but when she is tired she drops. It was all good but I know hotels have high use carpets and wonder what stains remain hidden on the floors so I retrieved a a couple blankets and put them on the floor.

 Then we decided it was time to eat and get some drinks and got some grub to go from a college grill and pub. When time came to pick up our orders I left a few blocks down the road and picked it up. The funny thing was there was a place just on the other side of the hotel, and secondly I was carded for ketchup packets, that's right condiments and I'm 30 years old. I returned with the late night snacks and noticed the hamburgers were bloody when we had asked for well done. We ate our fries and the remainder of  M.Js grilled cheese watching Napoleon Dynamite before  mom put her to bed.

 Finally alone time, we had some drinks and an extra bed so why not take advantage of the moment. So we sat in bed and watched South park and a rerun of SNL.  I rubbed Icy Hot on my wife's back side and I finished with a rub and massage on the rest of her body. I held her tight and kissed her throughout the night even when my toothache was killing me.. We laughed and talked until 1:30  or so and she went to bed.

I stayed up a little while and went to make a run for the vending machines. Then walked around outside to burn some of my energy off , I had something on the brain. Still I say this now but I would not re due the evening for it was relaxing and I cherish all time spent with my best friend and loving wife Lisa.

It was about 8:30 AM. and I heard a little angel wake and say momma, dada, Po. So mommy and I got up to tend to our beautiful girl. After doing so we goofed around a little and went to Bakers Square to eat some yummy num nums. Sitting at the table we ordered coffee, juice and eat eat eats. It was peaceful I had good company, and good food. Have you ever noticed older people mainly discuss health issues and the weather? We werewrapping up breakfast and you here sssluuuurrrrrrrppppppp and we know the sound of anal eruption . "I'll pay the check and you just take her to the car quick!" We know the drill.  Time is of the essence when there is a Ten Four back door. Have the wipes, diapers, and extra cloths ready.

I think diaper co. have a racket going on there are so many styles, types,stages but they can't make one that can hold diarrhea? Then back to the hotel to bath and watched a show on mountain gorillas. Then checked out and it went smoothly with 1 minute to spare. Am I the only one who likes to stay until the last seconds to get your moneys worth,  takes as much free stuff as possible and looks at least 3 times everywhere to make sure nothings left behind?

Back onto the road again to a destination that M.J will be pleased she won't even know what's in store for her. We didn't know either because I Map Quested our route ahead of time down to the perfect T. Confident fore once I did everything correct there will be no snags, getting lost or asking directions. We had an hour and a half  to get 30 miles, no problems. Then we circled around a few times on the same rounds making no sense I decided to stop and the local police station get better directions. Even after that we circled again, finally calling the Railway Museum. There is more to this chaos then I care to remember or tell.

We made it on track heading to where we needed to be, The Illinois Railway Museum. It was packed with cars, adults, and children. The looks on Lisa and MJ faces were priceless, especially when we first saw Thomas pass on the tracks both their beaming blue eyes were brighter than Thomas. I was overtaken by emotion a few times  I wanted to cry and eventually did. I will leave it here for now, but will be back to tell the tale of Thomas and M.J when I'm more composed.

I'm back, it was beautiful sunny day, and the wind was lightly blowing. Kids were screaming in all directions. Screaming for joy, frustration, and sheer excitement, and the funny thing is I didn't hear it till I got home and watched some of the video. I was in awe at the visuals and sounds my family was making. Every time a train or trolley passed our daughter smiled, cooed, and laughed. Every time that happened her parents smiled ear to ear.

We made our way to the line for the ride on Thomas at 2:30 sharp, so we have to wait about half hour but we are second in line. While I was in line ,as the music to the show played in the background I noticed adults were dancing more than the kids. Don't get me wrong the kids were too, I even caught myself doing it.  Maybe because kids shows are embedded in my mind from years of being an Uncle to now being a father.

 Believe when I say there are much worse shows and songs to get branded in your brain. Thomas is a very good show it teaches lessons and sings catchy songs that MJ loves very much. Any way when the train backed its way to the line we were standing in, we handed our tickets to Mr. Conductor and we climbed up the steps of the train. I couldn't see there faces but I know there were smiles, making our way to the back seats next to the window we sat down. My wife holding her as she gayly bounced, turned, smiled, laughed, and leaned forward to stick her head and hands out the window. She looked at all the people on the train and outside the train waving to the crowds." Hi, hi, hi ",she spoke and gave me five while mom smiled and sang to her.

We were excited too we had never been on a train ride either let alone such a famous engine. The suddenly the train started with sound  of screeches and rattles and shakes. The sounds and smiles were hard to ignore, there was not a unhappy passenger on that ride. There was clowns and volunteers on with us, the clown even attempted to shake MJs hand but his silly intuition knew better ,so he moved on. Thank goodness if he didn't she would have had a conniption fit. We saw other trains and so many visitors, we passed tents and a restaurant, we waved to all that could see. We passed fields and old farm houses and saw butterflies and birds while all our hearts sang inside. It was only 20 minutes but it will last forever in my mind. I didn't want it to end and neither did my family.

We made our way through the crowd, to the front where Thomas was and took some pictures and I even managed to get a stranger to take one of  my family and I. Patiently waiting we all watched Thomas take off for another ride. Peep peep he chugged as he went by and we waved to the happy passengers. It was a sight to see all the children's smiles and eyes wide waiving back to us. 

Now off to see Sir Toppem Hat  from a safe distance MJ was amazed to see him she said to me and the camera "Hat Hat" " Hat Hat"! I  had made him Say to her with my best impression "MJ be a very useful and good girl for mom and dad" She smiled and rocked at that.

Once again it is time to eat eat eat but not just for her but mommy and daddy . I ordered pizza, burgers, french fries, barbeque, and a pretzel with cheese. While mom got the lemon shake ups.  We ate our feast in the shade and watched the crowd pass by. Just our luck the balloon people and I don't have to get up. "I'll take one please" "that will be 9 dollars" Thanks I think. No, it is a giant Thomas balloon, the day was perfect and priceless in my mind.

 Full and content we made our way to the car but mom has to stop to use the potty room. I was glad it allowed us to watch a local musician play Johnny Cash songs "Ill walk the line." and other songs. So we walk the line to our car and noticed another little boy throwing a fit, that had to be at least twenty in total. Maybe they watch too much Calliou?

All I know is our daughter was well behaved and we had a good time MJ, mommy, and me. Bust my buffer I do believe we will return next year if she still loves  Thomas and friends. You never know with children what they will like tomorrow.  But I do know Life is what it is sometimes and we must remember all things good.  Cinders and ashes I almost forgot to say thank you to my wonderful family and to say without them I would not have had a beautiful day like the one we shared together. And thanks to all that took the time to read this.

Thanks for listening.

Wes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! My husband Ken and I love road trips--you never know what you'll find!

Thanks for stopping by my journal!

All my best,
Beth