Thursday, August 21, 2008

Breathing the best I can.

I have had a good couple days spending time with one of my nieces C.D and M.J. We went to the zoo in Springfield and spent about three hours looking at the animals. In reality the zoo is small and the Australian section was closed. I would take most people about an hour to see everything but we took it slow.

The weather was fine and the kids looked happy. I really love monkeys so we hung around them for quite a while, the made our way to the bears from Asia. The last time I saw them was the fathers day before last, and they were sleeping. Thank goodness this time they were alert, playing, walking, and even cuddled and kissed.

 It was relaxing to take the kids to see hawks, eagles, owls, and vultures. I love birds of prey! As a kid I was able to nurse a Turkey Vulture back to good health and into the wild. It had a broken wing and needed help, so our conservation friend called us to mend its wing. I will be honest it was the most ugly-beautiful creature I had ever seen. We hadit for only a short while but I grew fond of its company, still I was relieved it could be returned to the wild.

My wife and I both agree to be caged and not free is overall wrong,  Don't get me wrong due to the worlds circumstances some animals would nearly be extinct if  were not for zoos and sanctuaries. So I am a little conflicted to see any animal in a cage, but I except it.

Now back to our good day we saw 2 young bobcats play, they our truly gorgeous cats. Its hard to believe not even twenty years ago I saw many running free in Illinois, but now a rarity. We saw 3 Red fox and CD was impressed she said they were pretty that she wished could have one. Then went on to say she would take all of them for pets or friends, after all she is only 7 yrs. old. I agreed with her saying I wish one day I could get a big piece of land and invite them all to stay with us. My mind started to drift and my words caused me to feel like I was in Mice of Men. "I'm gonna live off the fat of the land."  I was waiting for her to say can I tend to the rabbits Uncle Wes?

 Don't worry I haven't forgot my lovely daughter  M.J she was amazed by all,  the wolverines that circled and played in the water fall even coming up to the glass. The peacocks, ducks, swans, and even the goats until one came too close. We all three laughed and smiled feeding them as they made their goat sounds "Baaahhhaaaaa". My daughter was excited to see the leaping lemurs, "we were feeling lemurish, lemurish" "Leap, Leap,Leap!". Its off of Zooboomafoo a show off the T.V and Zaboo is one of favorite things.

She loved the spider monkeys that played and came up to us trying to kiss her. The monkey that  came right up to us, I played the staring contest like on Late Night withe Conan O'Brien years ago. Guess what I WON! "Nanner nanner " no I don't like to brag . It was a tie we both gave up to look at the kids smiles and listen to their laughs. So all the other animals don't feel left out I would like to Thank them, and their keepers, and my family, who else am I forgetting  the director...My agent and the zoo God... Now you hear music.... I want to thank the guild and the academy.. Then you all kick me off  the computer and I cover my face in shame. 

No, on a serious note we had a great day sitting in the shade drinking frozen slushies without straws or spoons because 'people throw them down on the ground."  So we walked around with blue and red lips admiring the rest of the zoo. We past the Australian section and I wished it were open but maybe next time. I was a little relieved so I wouldn't,t have to utter the words " A dingo ate my baby!"  Ha ha ha... To make this story short, we ate food in the shade on a bench and fed the birds. We left the zoo a little educated and had fun doing it.M.J. said many new words and C.D got to spend time with her cousin and I.

Do you remember how  I  said  we went there on Fathers day 2007? That was when mom, M.J and I  had a wonderful time and she first said "I love you daddy!" This time Lisa wasn't here and I missed her the whole time wishing I could have traded her places or have her with us by our side. Good thing I taped it, sent pictures by phone , and took pictures. Drew sketches, painted a mural, and taped a reenactment so mom could see how our day went.

I can't wait for the weekend so we can do something fun together and relax. I must go for now, I have an early Dentist appointment and I have no choice but to take M.J with me while they pull a tooth out. I am really hoping it goes well. I could go outside and do a rain dance so mom will get rained out at work. No it will be fine I'm more worried about my father he has his first chemotherapy treatment tomorrow at the same time as my dental appointment.

So,no worries about me, my day is just Walmart and the dentist 2 of my favorite things. This is just the beginning of life for us all including my dad. That is why we stay positive and hope, pray, and breath. You know and I know "Life is what it is sometimes."

 
Thanks for Listening,
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wes, sounds like a lovely day! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it with your daughter and niece.

And I love monkeys, too!

Beth